Adequate Insurance

Do you have adequate insurance to cover an uninsured or under-insured driver who wrongfully injures you in an accident?  (This is called UIM coverage.)  This is how it works:

If you get into an auto accident and the other driver is at fault, you are entitled to be compensated for all of your damages.  By law, every driver in California must have at least $15,000 of liability insurance to cover wrongfully injuring someone else, and that minimum is what most California drivers have.  In order to get more than that, or in order to get anything if the other driver doesn’t have auto insurance, you need to have UIM coverage.  Most California drivers either don’t have car insurance at all, or have the minimum $15,000 of liability coverage.

In order to protect yourself from not being adequately compensated for injuries caused by another driver, you need to have adequate UIM coverage.  There is no way to know in advance whether you would ever use this coverage or, if you do, how much you would need.  But considering current medical costs, it can’t hurt to get the maximum UIM coverage available in order to protect yourself as much as possible.  If you can’t afford the maximum UIM coverage, get as much coverage as you can, with $200,000 being the minimum you should consider.

If you are injured in a car accident that’s not your fault, contact a personal injury attorney today.  We can help you get the compensation for your damages that you need and deserve.